About ARECA/BETEL NUT
The chemical composition of areca nut comprises 14 to 15 percent of fat, polyphenols, tannins, alkaloids, polysaccharides, a small amount of protein, and vitamin B6 and vitamin C. The fat, which is extracted by using organic solvents, is made up of mastic acid and its by-products. The fat is mixed in a certain proportion with cocoa butter or coconut oil, which is then used to make confectioneries and duplicate dairy products.
The polyphenol (tannins) content varies from 38 to 47% in tender nuts and 15 to 22% in ripe nuts. Tannin, which is extracted from the nut, is used in foods as natural colouring agent, and also in the leather industry. Other minor constituents in the areca nut alkaloids, in terms of the total weight of the nut, is about 1.6%, which are comprise arecoline, arecolodine, arecaidine, guvacine, isoguvacine, and govacolidine; the pharmacological and other uses of these alkaloids are as “antihelminithic, ophthalmic, antibacterial, antidiabetic.”
Areca nut husk is used to make many industrial products such as hardboard, insulation wool, cushions, paper, paper board and activated carbon. The chemical composition of the areca husk consists of 18.75% furaldehyde which when distilled produces 5.5% furfural; it also yields xylitol.
Areca nut is used widely in India and South Asia as: a masticator for chewing purposes, vegetable, medicine, stimulant, timber, fuel wood, clothing, wrapping, lubricant, tannin and so forth. The nut is chewed with the betel leaf as it has a stimulating effect but it’s over use could cause cancer.
Packing & Shipment
- Packing – Standard packing of 10kg, 25kg, 50kg in LPP bags
- Quantity – 20ft container/ 25 tons
- Port of loading – Chennai, India
- Pre shipment inspection – As per specification of AGMARK and customer requirements for weight and quantity
- Port of discharge – As per customer requirement
- Shipment terms – FOB/CIF as per customer requirements
- Mode of payment – 100% T/T, irrevocable L/C
- Delivery to port of loading – 30 days from the date of receipt of confirmed purchase order and payment instruction